Monday, January 9, 2012

Blog Post #1

This quarter I plan on playing with glazes. I want to look up some new recipes of green and purple. Since I will be playing with glazes i decided I want to work on plates. I haven't had too much success with plates in the past so it will be good to practice the technique. My goal is to have aprox. 20 finished plates. I don't want to do very much surface decoration on the plates since it makes them hard to clean or eat off of. For the plates i want them to serve functionally, however anything else i make probably wont be. I will probably make some vases with alot of surface decoration (still searching for inspiration on those). One side project that i want to work on is make a mosaic out of pottery shards using some new glazes. I will be assembling it at home and gluing the pieces onto a board to create a picture (haven't decided what yet).

2 comments:

  1. A couple questions:
    1) are you looking at plates? I mean, are you looking at shapes of rims, bottoms and feet on plates you like? There can be a lot of variation between a larger platter with a distinct frame-like rim and a curved bottom salad plate. If you don't have a variety of plates at home, you might want to look online or even in stores so you can pick up and handle other plates.
    2) You may want to make it known to your classmates, or at least Elisie and Shannon, that you are planning a mosaic. As we read firing time, there may be broken or damaged pieces looking for a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, how's progress?
    I know you've been working in the studio but I haven't gotten much chance to talk to you.

    Plates are looking good, especially the one with the bigger rim. Careful with them so the edges don't get banged up.

    BTW: Some work is in the bisque today (out on Wed AM). You can start glazing anytime. Intermediates will mix glazes this week (we take requests). I will fire a glaze kiln when there is enough work.

    ReplyDelete